FAQs (For Professional Advisors)
Below are some of the answers to the most frequently asked questions for professional advisors. If you would like to download a printable copy of the answers to these questions, please click here.
- What is the Federal tax identification number for the American Red Cross?
The federal tax identification number is 53-0196605.
- Can the American Red Cross serve as Executor for an estate?
The American Red Cross National Headquarters and local Red Cross Chapters cannot serve as Executor for any estate due to potential liability and conflict of interest issues.
- Can the American Red Cross serve as Trustee of a charitable trust?
In certain instances the American Red Cross, through its National Headquarters, can serve as trustee. Local Red Cross Chapters and other operating units are not authorized to serve as trustee. The American Red Cross may serve as trustee at the request of the donor if:
The contribution of cash or marketable securities to the trust is of appropriate value, usually a minimum of $150,000; and the trust provides for an irrevocable remainder interest to the American Red Cross of 100%.
The contribution of cash or marketable securities to the trust is of appropriate value, usually a minimum of $250,000; and the trust provides for an irrevocable remainder interest to the American Red Cross of at least 50%.
The contribution of real estate to the trust is of appropriate value; usually a minimum of $250,000 and the donor agrees to serve initially as their own trustee. The American Red Cross will then be named the successor trustee of the trust once the property has been sold.
- What are the ways in which a donor can designate their gift to the American Red Cross through their will?
A donor can bequeath a sum certain or a percentage of their estate for either specific or general purposes. The gift can be designated to the American National Red Cross and/or a local American Red Cross Chapter.
- What are the American Red Cross legacy and bequest guidelines?
- How can I notify an American Red Cross Chapter about an estate gift?
You can either contact the Red Cross Chapter directly, or, you may also notify our legal office at the following address:
American Red Cross
Office of the General Counsel
Attn: Trusts & Estates
431 18th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20006
- Who can answer the bequest and legacy questions of an executor/trustee?
Please direct inquiries to the Office of General Counsel, Trusts & Estates at TrustsAndEstates@redcross.org.
- Is the American National Red Cross and the local Chapters of the American Red Cross separate legal entities?
No. The American Red Cross is one legal entity. It is a tax-exempt organization under section 501 (c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code. The federal tax identification number is 53-0196605.